The VOCAL Co-OPP is a community of leaders of more than 20 self-governed mental health peer support and advocacy programs around Virginia. We meet in-person and by phone to support each other and share ideas, tools, and strategies to maintain healthy programs that model peer values and will last into the future.
The VOCAL Co-OPP is also a program of VOCAL that offers ongoing technical assistance to peer-run programs and to groups interested in establishing new peer support programs. Throughout the year, the VOCAL Co-OPP provides:
- Annual organizational needs assessments for 501-c-3 peer-run mental health programs
- A library of resources on non-profit and peer support practices (see below)
- Review of and support for applications for 501-c-3 status for new peer-run mental health programs
- Workshops about Board Development, Fundraising, Organizational Wellness and Participatory Decision-Making
- Evaluation infrastructure and support
- Facilitation of Executive Director and Board of Director Retreats
- Advocacy for peer-run program needs and interests
Library of Non-Profit Resources
There are thousands of quality resources for non-profits available in communities and on the internet. VOCAL staff have curated or created a set of resources that fit the values of peer-support, can be implemented with the average staff and financial resources available and that are fairly easy to read. Click each topic to be taken to a library of resources:
- Peer-Run Programs: Values, structures, practices and evidence
- Options for Organizing: To be a 501(c)3 or not to be
- Board of Directors Roles and Responsibilities
- Ongoing Board Development and Training
- Relationship of the Executive Director and Board
- Evaluating Recovery and Continuous Quality Improvement Cycle
- Diversified Fundraising
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Legal Compliance
- Insurance Best Practices
- Human Resources and Staff Development
Here’s how you can get involved with the VOCAL Co-OP. To learn more, get in touch with the Co-OP Program Coordinator by email or call 804-343-1777:
The “Co-OPP Corner” newsletter – Monthly news, resources and networking for peer-run program leaders. Sign up here.
Annual Needs Assessment Survey – If you are a non-profit Executive Director or Board Member, encourage your organization to take the Co-OPP’s annual needs assessment survey. This tool allows you to review the organization’s skills and practices in core areas, including the common ingredients of peer-run programs. Download the survey and instructions here.
On-site trainings – Schedule VOCAL staff come to your program site to conduct board and or/staff trainings, on topics you select. If VOCAL staff are not qualified to train in that area, we help you find subject matter experts.
Virginia-specific resources – Looking for a document, form, policy or other resources? Browse our library (above or sidebar of this section) contributed by programs around the state or researched by VOCAL staff.
Contribute your expertise – If it matters to you and your peer-run program, it likely matters to another program elsewhere in Virginia. Share your knowledge and passion with the C0-OP community by hosting a webinar on a topic or presenting at a conference or retreat.
Request Support or Training
* Please note, this is a part-time position, so Lydia will respond within 4 business days. Office hours:
Mondays 10am – 6pm
Wednesdays 9am – 1pm
Thursdays 9am – 1pm